Sunday, May 10, 2009

White birch bonsai

I have had a nice little white birch in a pot for the last couple of years. I collected it at the same time I was collecting small yellow birch. I found a clear plastic bowl, I think it was a salad bowl. Drilled some holes in the bottom for drainage.

In a couple of months I will be able to begin to shape it. 

Once I had 5 Ginkgo biloba that I had for 5 years. They were turning into great little bonsia trees. When kid number one came I did not over-winter them properly and they all got root rot. What a drag.  I have not had a good bonsai since then. So I am hoping this one will become a good example.

Kid number 1 really likes it and wants to keep it in the living room. So I guess that is where it will be. I just have to teach the kids how to take care of it.

The one picture has a round piece of glass as the table top on the hollow birch stump. The next thing I want to try is to plant a tree directly into one of the hollow stumps. That will look wonderful. It will be a little heavy and too big for our house.

You can see all the pictures I took, when I take more as the tree takes shape I will post them in the same place. Follow this link








 

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I've always wanted to try this, but am not nearly confident enough in my ability to take care of Bonsai roots. I hope this turns out well! Sounds like a cool project.

    ReplyDelete