Saturday, January 1, 2011

My First Millson Forest




2011 International Year of Forests

My first forest with Millson Forestry Service.

I started at Millson Forestry Service (MFS) July of 1999, in September I was in charge of a tree plant on the west side of town. 
Here is a map of the plantation area.  Here is a look at the plantation from the highway in street view of google maps

I went to the Jack pine plantation yesterday to get some pictures and thin a tree to get a cookie. It was a wonderful warm rainy day. A little unusual for the last day of 2010. Plus 5C and raining while Roll'n and I walked in the young forest. 

2011 is International Year of Forests more info 

When I count the rings on the cookie of the tree I thinned from the plantation I confirm the tree is indeed 11 years old. 



I hope you will follow me this year while I work and write about the forest. If you have never planted a tree, this is the year you need to do it! You will have opportunity during Earth Day and Arbour Day to get a tree. You can also get a larger tree, just visit the MFS webstore.

It is all about the trees and the FOREST at Oxygen Grows On Trees




3 comments:

  1. It must be very rewarding to have a long term project like this and too see the progress being made! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be interesting watch that plantation develop over the coming years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name,Oxygen Grows On Trees! A good reminder of just the most necessary reason to take care of our forests. Not to mention all of the other things that we could not do without.
    Keep planting!

    ReplyDelete