Sunday, September 9, 2012

Wasp Nest in the Trees



Built into the branches - Great Architecture! 



Paper wasp or is it a yellow jacket wasp?

They are awesome!

Well, at a distance anyway.

Two weeks ago I stepped right into a nest. The same wasps that build nests in the trees also build nests in the ground.

The other day, while I was walking in the bush I stood for a moment, the sting I was getting on my wrist suggested I should look more carefully. Looking down I realized I was standing on a nest, better then that I had actually ripped it open.

Run... Run Away!!!! Only one sting. Good for me.

As it turns out I followed until I came back to where I started. GPS is great, can take you back to the esact same location. Shit I walked  in to the hive twice???! But I ran faster this time, no sting!

Many different types of wasps University of Michigan Museum of Zoology

Wasps are beneficial, an essential part of our ecosystem read more

Even the birds are afraid of wasps, U of Guelph

Homeowner Guide to Yellowjackets, Bald-Faced Hornets and Paper Wasps read more

Oxygen Grows On Trees




No comments:

Post a Comment