Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Moose Antler Freshly Dropped



It is interesting to compare a moose antler freshly dropped to an antler dropped last years and then chewed for a summer.

Last year I found the older antler. Roll'n has enjoyed chewing on it for a year. To him it is a big bone with the taste of moose.

This winter while having a safety discussion at the side the road the dog found something. He would not come out of the bush, he just sat there looking at me. That usually means he needs help with something.

I walk toward him and he starts to bark and "talk" to something. He has found an antler that is too big for him to move. Judging from the tracks and the fresh snow the antler had been dropped (map) that morning, less then 6 hours ago since it had none of the fresh snow on it.

I suspect by the size of the antlers the two different moose were very close in age. The shape is very similar. I am know expert but I would say they came from a bull that was about 6 to 8 years old.

I will not let Roll'n munch on this antler, it is in really nice shape. Wonder what to do with it?

Guess I will give it to Muddy Mark, he will know what to do with it.

Facts


Art, wow wish I could do that!





No comments:

Post a Comment